5.20.2013

Made | Super secret steak kabobs & the camping season begins!

One of my favorite memories of living in Saipan when I was a kid was walking over to this little shack in a parking lot in front of a convenience store near my grandma's house. From afar, it was a tiny hut hardly big enough for two people to stand in, mouthwatering smoke coming out the vent in the roof. There was always one guy in there, barbecuing the most tender and tasty meat kabobs you've ever had. He had chicken, but we always went for the steak. When I was home in April, I asked my mom and my sister if they remembered that guy, and my mom laughed and said, "Of course, Mel! I even got his secret recipe for the marinade." Be still my beating heart. This past weekend we put the recipe (below) to the test.

Even at 8 AM on a Monday morning, the sight of those kabobs makes my mouth water. We went camping at Burlingame State Park in Rhode Island this weekend to celebrate Mike's birthday. Our friend Nicole drove over from Philly to join us on Saturday, and we had quite the feast that night. Nothing washes down steak and veggies like s'mores (peanut butter cups & dark chocolate & caramel bars squished in there). 
Meat-on-a-Stick

What you'll need:

1.5 lbs steak (cut into cubes or long strips)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Asian Ginger marinade (we use Ken's brand in the salad dressing aisle, but any soy ginger sauce will do)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
A couple dashes of hot sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
And the secret ingredient...
7 UP! (We used Sprite because it was cheaper)

1. Combine everything except the steak and 7 UP in a medium bowl. Once mixed, taste with your finger or a spoon to be sure it's the right spice for you. 
2. Add a splash or two of the soda, tasting until it's the right amount of sweetness for you. 
3. When the flavor is perfect, add your cubes or strips of steak. Cover the bowl tightly, or if you're going camping, put the meat and marinade in a sealable plastic bag and place it over ice. 

Grill to your preference and serve alongside a coal cooked potato, corn, and veggies. 

What's your favorite camping food? We always make kabobs when we're camping out.

No comments: